Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hurricane Katrina 4 years ago today





I hate to be Ms. Debbie Downer today but I had to blog about the 4 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. It really feels like it happened yesterday. I remember being in Baton Rouge and I started crying when I saw on the news what happened to not just New Orleans but the entire Gulf Coast. I was actually put on active duty and had to respond the day after and start refueling all those helicopters that were rescuing people off of their homes. There was so much chaos because our unit was located on the Lakefront but it was completely gone. I was at the Laplace weigh station on I-10 refueling helicopters in jeans in a t-shirt because we had no uniforms. August 29, 2005 is a day that will be remembered forever. While there is still a lot of work that needs to be done, there has been a lot of progress. I'm also telling everyone that is not from here that they need to visit. There is no place like New Orleans. Please feel free to share your Katrina stories in the comments section ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment